Dashboard Embed Types
What can I embed on a Dashboard?
Choose from a growing list of url types you can add to a dashboard, including: Drive Folders; Google Docs and Sheets; Google Maps, Calendars, Forms and Slides; Files stored within Drive such as PDF's and Images; Google Drawing and Charts; Twitter and Facebook; Data Studio; YouTube; RSS Feeds.
Copy the URL from your browsers address bar when viewing the item you wish to display on your dashboard and then paste it into your Dashboard Doc (we supply a Template Doc when you add a Dashboard page type - simply open it in Drive and start editing each table cell).
If you want to embed something, try pasting in a URL. If it doesn't work, please let us know - we are always willing to consider new ideas to help you and others in the OverDRIVE community.
- Google Drive Folder: the folder URL whilst viewing the Drive folder, to show images instead of icons add #grid to the end of the url.
- Google Doc: eg https://docs.google.com/document/d/10bGZK-OUX9O2J6aUYiW056flNmQKfJr_h8F0-wzUmgE/edit
- Google Sheet: eg https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qh3AHi3rKeFaZswwBbw5AGgoaxDNxns_cXbYxDCoxwE/edit#gid=0. Include the "gid" reference to embed individual sheets from a larger spreadsheet
- Google Map: eg https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1viISCLgmYLTyiTuOUB1Cw7uws54 - see below for instructions on setting up a My Map
- Google Calendar: eg https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=en.uk23holiday40group.v.calendar.google.com - see below for instructions on setting up a Calendar link
- Google Form open a form and click on Preview (Eye Icon), copy the whole URL eg https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScSGR7T8by-arUPKyWW1EIWJIVLRGI6IJuAHlfYThCpfCz06Q/viewform
- Google Slides: the URL whilst viewing the slideshow
- Google Drive File: preview the file in Google Drive and click on the 3 dots icon, choose Share and then Get shareable link
- Google Charts: Choose to Publish your chart and under Link select Image and then Publish. Copy the whole URL you are provided with. Interactive charts can be embedded but due to technical reasons they cannot be resized so they may not suit every dashlet.
- Twitter: the URL whilst viewing a Twitter feed eg https://twitter.com/OverDRIVEio
- Facebook: the URL whilst viewing a Facebook account home page eg https://www.facebook.com/refractiv/
- Data Studio: the URL whilst viewing a Data Studio page (make sure your report has Embedding enabled)
- YouTube: the URL of the video eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4W8hE3TtgQ
- Vimeo video: the url of the video using this format: https://player.vimeo.com/video/[video id]
- RSS Feed: most RSS feeds will work if the URL contains feed, feeds, rss eg https://www.refractiv.co.uk/news/feed/ - see below for more help with RSS feed setup.
Rss feed urls must contain:
/feed/ /feeds/ /rss/For example:
You can Google for RSS Feeds and most news sites will have a page listing their feeds, for example the BBC has an RSS feeds page. Example link from the BBC page:
Once added and working you can set the amount of items appearing in the dashlet and add the date of each item via the Dashboard Page Type options.
Go to https://www.google.com/mymaps. Create a new map by clicking on + Create a new map. To create a map, zoom into the map or type a postcode or location into the search box. Once you have the map you want, give it a name then share it (with a person, domain or as Public) so you can embed it. Then click on the three dots icon and choose set default view, then embed on my site and get the URL from the embedded iframe code starting from HTTPS.
Go to https://calendar.google.com. Select any calendar and click on dropdown menu and open calendar settings. Get the Public URL from the Integrate calendar section.